Hiring a licensed contractor may save you lots of headaches and money since an unlicensed contractor may be uninsured. You could be liable for any injuries incurred by workers which include subcontractors while on your property. Ask potential contractors for a copy of their Workers Compensation Insurance.
Workers Compensation – An employer in the construction industry who employs one or more part-time or full-time employees, including the owner, must obtain workers’ compensation coverage.
Click Here to Read why pulling an Owner/ Builder permit is Risky!
Below are some helpful tips from the MyFlorida.com Contractors Brochure.
1. Review your contract before you sign it.
2. Contact your insurance company to make sure the work performed is covered under the insurance policy.
3. Avoid paying cash.
4. Avoid any contractor who requires full payment in advance. Arrange to pay after the contractor completes the work or in agreed-upon installments.
5. Don’t sign off that work is completed until all work is finished according to your contract, and the contractor has cleared all permits with final inspection approval from the building department.
6. If your contract exceeds $2,500, become familiar with the Florida Construction Lien Law. See the link below.
7. Most jobs require permits. Always check with your local building department regarding permits needed for your project.
Did you know that pulling an Owner / Builder permit can put you at financial risk? Do not be fooled into allowing others to put your good name and credit in harm’s way! You can read more about this unethical practice, and way of protecting yourself, at the MyFlorida website.
Most Florida Counties in Florida have a real-time contractor license site, where you can inquire about a companies information.
By selecting Southern Oaks Homes, Inc. and Centricity (formerly Bonded Builders Warranty Group), you’ll take comfort in knowing that your new home offers a warranty that we’ve purchased for you. You’re covered for system defects as defined in the warranty documents. The warranty also includes conciliation, with an over 95% success rate in resolving disputes without costly or time consuming arbitration or litigation.
The privilege of membership in Centricity is extended only after we are satisfied that the builder possesses the special pride in workmanship, along with the financial means and commercial stability to provide the kind of quality and service that you deserve.
Before choosing a builder, make sure you see the Centricity logo. It’s your builder’s written promise of quality construction and warranty performance.
The warranty provided is underwritten by Centricity.